So yesterday in my micro class (of course the smallest class I have that Kyle of course is in as well), we had our first homework due and if it wasn't stapled you lost like half a point out of only three points of something, so it was kind of a big deal.
After last semester, I decided I should just carry a small stapler in my backpack so that I had one if I needed it, or anyone else needed it. Sooo, class just began and everyone is getting their homeowork together and I hear Kyle, that sits about 2 rows behind me and 3 or 4 seats over ask in a friendly manner if anyone has a stapler, I instantly say I do, just out of habitual reaction.
I look at him and his happy face falls completely flat.
I instantly regretted opening my mouth but it was too late now, I opened my bag and walked over to hang it to him in silence and then I go and sit back down and then he comes back over and hands it back to me again in silence.
This may not seem like a big deal at all but it is our first sober interaction since our break up on Jan 13th.
So, It was a BIG deal.
The class goes on and I am barely keeping my shit together but I had luckily just talked to my therapist that day and was able to be a bit more rational. The class ends and I realize that it's okay, I felt better about this.
BUT! I look at my phone as I was about to walk out of the room and what is this?
A TEXT FROM KYLE!
It just says Thanks.
This doesn't really shock me because my therapist explained that Kyle sounded a lot like an introvert (which he is) and so he has a really hard time expressing how he feels and as small as saying Thanks seems, in our situation and with our emotional climate, I perfectly understand why he texted it to me.
My response was not well thought out and I regretted it after I said it but what can you do...
I said: You're welcome. If you are going to your car right now I have some things of yours if you want to get them or something
Ughh dumb of me. He didn't respond which frankly wasn't unexpected but I am mad that I tried to push him too fast into seeing me again. Classic me, we interact for the first time and I am ready to jump into full blown conversations haha
But I need to remember that he is not like that and that he needs time and space and it's not that he is not emotionally involved or that he does or doesn't want to talk, it's just that he needs to think.
That has always been a hard thing for me to accept and remember but it's probably more important now than ever. So yeah... That is the stapler incident...
No comments:
Post a Comment